Thursday, October 9, 2014

To Be Inspired Again

I started writing this blog because I was inspired by the word "Service". I wanted to be able to share my inspiration with others or at the very least create some sort of diary of record that might give my kids some idea of what made their Dad tick.

It all started very well however somewhere very early on this blog fell into obscurity just like every other diary I have ever attempted to start. I just stopped....and didn't think twice about it until two life changing experiences that have occurred over the last year or so.

Firstly my position at One King West Hotel and Residence was made redundant about a year ago bringing to an end for me 6 years at what was my first hotel employer coming out of Hospitality school. It was an amicable ending and I'll write more about that in a future entry (not too distant this time...).  After 9 months of job hunting misery (more on this in a later entry too) I was offered the position of Guest Services Representative at the Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport and my career was in a sense; reset.

Then more recently I was blessed with the birth of my first baby girl when Zahra Jean Shirazie came into the world on September 12th 2014. This was my motivation...she is my motivation. She will forever be my motivation.

The question is why? What connection is there between my career in Hospitality, the birth of my baby girl and an inspiration to write in this blog again?

I feel that one of the keys to outstanding guest service is the ability to be genuine. Too often have I stayed at hotels and resorts and been greeted with that cookie cutter smile that looks like its been cut and pasted ou
t of the first page of the "Guest Service" manual. Its difficult to trust someone to look after your stay if you don't feel that they genuinely have your best interests at heart.  One of the lessons I learnt from my parents early on in life was to be genuine in my interactions with others. It is a lesson I try to apply to not only every guest who walks through those hotel doors but also with my colleagues, family, friends or even strangers.

Greet your guest with a smile you would give a long lost friend. I actually put myself in the mindset that I know this person walking towards me and I feel this helps. When the guest is talking, take a moment to hear the guest out. Truly listen to what they have to say. If you do it right, chances are higher you will be able to accurately assist the guest precisely with what they require. Don't do it right and chances are they will be right back at your desk with three other issues within the hour.

Is this genuine guest service a trait that can be learnt? Is it one of those things you either have or you don't? I don't know.,..perhaps if it is something that can be learnt, it is a deeper learning. A lesson to be applied to life...Treating others how you would expect to be treated. Or better yet...treat others how you would expect others to treat your mother or father because really there shouldn't be a better bench mark.

It is this approach to my work and my life that I would like Zahra to know and learn from. Be genuine...listen...learn....and you will find yourself halfway to happiness.

till next time...


2 comments:

  1. Samad, this blog has a lot of feeling because it's straight from the heart. As you go through parenthood, you'll realize we all muddle through it doing how we know best. The proof of success or failure comes much later. In your case, your parents clearly did something VERY right. That's all you can hope to do for Zahra.

    Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunty Tulsi! I hope I have the motivation to continue on.

      Delete